Friday, February 4, 2011

In the Kitchen: Cherry Pie!

Okay, warning. Every time, I mean EVERY TIME, I make, think or talk about cherry pie, I sing a line from Warrant. "She's my cherry pie!" Be prepared to have these lyrics stuck in your head for a while. You're welcome!

So, I got bitten by the baking bug this afternoon. There's just something about being inside for hours on end that makes me feel all domestic-like. So, with Ellie down for a nap, I went back to a blog post I'd seen a week or so ago with individual heart-shaped cherry pies.

http://meetthedubiens.blogspot.com/2011/01/heart-shaped-cherry-pies.html

Um, my end result looked nothing like hers, by the way! Nevertheless, I'm happy with the way these turned out and they were very simple and yummy--and I'm not a huge cherry fan. I ran out of flour so I had to use some Bisquick, and ended up liking that added texture and flavor. Though I have a million and one Christmas cookie cutters, I didn't have a heart, so I had to fashion one by hand. Not a cookie cutter; I made a heart by hand. I'm no MacGruber!


These were the perfect size!

The judges on Chopped would be impressed with my plating skills for Ellie's serving, which of course wasn't really for her consumption, but my enjoyment of preparing it.

I added some pizzaz to Ellie's plate
If you have kiddos, do check out Jill's blog. She does such cool things with healthy food; your kids will so want to eat what she comes up with! If you try the cherry pies, let me know how yours turn out! 






No comments:

Post a Comment